"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make."  Jane Goodall.

International Volunteer – Uganda

The Jane Goodall Institute’s International Volunteer Program gives volunteers from all over the world the opportunity to the participate in Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots program in Africa, and we are excited to extend this opportunity to Uganda.

Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is currently in over 130 countries. It was founded in 1991 when 12 Tanzanian high school students, from nine schools, met with Dr. Jane Goodall on the veranda of her home in Dar es Salaam.

Because these students shared Dr. Jane’s love and concern for people, animals and the environment they asked her what they could do to help make the world a better place. After a spirited discussion, they decided to start clubs in each of their schools to address relevant issues at a grass roots level. These were the very first Roots & Shoots clubs.

Currently volunteers are being placed in the Western region (Budongo and Bugoma central forest reserves). Volunteer placement will begin in June/July 2016 and volunteer positions are for a minimum of six months. Shorter term placements are not being considered at this time.

Depending on volunteer skills and experience, key responsibilities could include:

  • General support of the Roots & Shoots program
  • Development of new community education and awareness materials
  • Coordinating mobile education and awareness activities
  • Supporting peer education and environmental education training
  • Supporting school-based environmental projects including:
    • Tree Nurseries
    • Waste Management
    • Hygiene and Sanitation
  • Completing a review of environmental education materials
  • Other duties as assigned

The ideal volunteer is mature, flexible, patient, self-motivated, creative, culturally competent, adapts to new environments easily, and possesses a sense of humor.

Ideal Candidates for this programme will:

  • Be current or past members of Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots
  • Possess an undergraduate or graduate university degree, or a minimum of four years’ work experience
  • Must be 21 years of age or older
  • Have an interest in youth leadership, education and environmental service learning
  • Be comfortable traveling to and working independently in remote, rural areas
  • Be proficient in English (reading, writing and conversation)
  • Have good writing and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a high level of attention to detail
  • Enjoy meeting and talking with members of the public/colleagues
  • Have experience organizing and leading workshops or training events
  • Prior experience living or working in Africa or a developing country is a plus
  • Possess a valid driver’s license


The volunteer will be based in Western region (Budongo and Bugoma central forest reserves). The volunteer will have three days at the head office every month to write reports and restock their supplies for the next month.


While at the head office the volunteer will live in a modern, well-furnished guest house with their own bedroom. The guest house has electricity, electrical appliances, and running hot and cold water. In the field, conditions may vary according to location.


Volunteers will be expected to travel to Jane Goodall Institute field sites on a regular basis. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the Jane Goodall Institute. Travel done outside of work will be the responsibility of the volunteer. There will be no vacation or annual leave time awarded to this position.


The total fee for this position is $6,256. A 30% nonrefundable deposit will be due May 23, 2017 and the remaining 70% of the program fee will be due by June 13, 2017.

Covered by fee:

  • Accommodation
  • Work-related travel, accommodation and meals
  • Airport pick up and drop off
  • Program orientation, training and materials
  • Staff coordination and support
  • Administrative fees

Not covered by fee:

  • Airfare to and from Uganda
  • Passport fees
  • Visa fees
  • Required immunizations:
    • Yellow Fever
    • Hepatitis A & B
    • MMR or proof of Measles as a child
    • Meningococcal meningitis
    • Polio
    • Tetanus
    • Rabies (recommended, but not required)
  • Personal medications, including anti-malarial
  • Medical and travel insurance (required)
  • Food
  • Spending money
  • Personal travel
  • International calling costs

If you are interested to know more:

To find out more or apply for an international volunteering opportunity please contact us<br />

Contact us for more information