Roots & Shoots is JGI’s global community conservation programme. It empowers young people of all ages to design and implement sustainability action projects with positive impacts for animals, people and the environment. A.P.E
Click on each step to embark on your Roots & Shoots journey and download resources to help make a difference for animals, people and the environment.
The Roots & Shoots toolkits gives educators and facilitators and participants everything they need to undertake a Roots & Shoots project.
See examples of Roots & Shoots in action, in New Zealand and around the world.
- If you are a student or individual looking to start a Roots & Shoots project we have resources for you to begin in your community or school or organisation.
- If you would like to find a group to join contact our JGI NZ Roots & Shoots National Coordinator.
- Don’t forget to register your project with JGI NZ, tell us what you are undertaking and how your project went.
- Get in touch for inspiration and support!
1. We are in more than a 130 countries and counting, and we need you to help us grow!
Roots & Shoots began in 1991 with a group of 12 students in Tanzania who were concerned about their environment. Since then, we have grown to over 150,000 members in more than 130 countries.
2. You get to address real issues.
Roots & Shoots groups carry out locally and globally-based projects in a variety of places all over the world. These groups get to address the issues that they think are relevant in their community. As long as it involves the human community, the animal community, and the environment, it can be a Roots & Shoots project!
3. Our youth blossom into leaders like Jane Goodall.
Roots & Shoots is Dr. Jane’s youth-focused organisation. She travels around the world meeting with different groups and sometimes attending their annual leadership conferences. If you grew up aspiring to be Jane Goodall, Roots & Shoots is a great place to start!
4. You’ll have the opportunity to get your hands dirty.
(Or not, if that’s not your thing.) Roots & Shoots projects have included everything from tree planting, beekeeping, and habitat beautification, to fairs and festivals, education, and community trips. There’s something at Roots & Shoots for everyone.
5. Friends with a purpose are the best kind.
Joining a Roots & Shoots group is a great way to meet people in your community that care about the same things you do. You also become part of an international community of youth that want to make a difference - and you strengthen the human population without even trying!
6. We have the tools to teach you how to lead an awesome Roots & Shoots group.
We have developed an online course, a toolkit, and more to help you through the Roots & Shoots process. If you’re a teacher, parent, community leader, or even a student, you have the opportunity to be an effective Roots & Shoots leader in your community with our resources.
Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots New Zealand is a programme dedicated to helping young people change the world. What better way to help them make a difference than by leading the movement!
By engaging Youth Leaders, Roots & Shoots gains a better understanding of our audience and how to reach them, taps into a powerful volunteer resource, grows our outreach capabilities and demonstrates our commitment to Dr Jane's vision.
If you would like to be part of the Roots & Shoots Leadership Council in New Zealand apply today!