When you become a Chimpanzee Guardian monthly donor, you provide critical resources at a pivotal time in our efforts to save orphaned chimpanzees.
Chimpanzees are listed as endangered on the World Conservation Union Red List, with as little as 172,000 chimpanzees remaining in the wild. Threats to chimpanzeeʼs populations include habitat loss due to agricultural practices, commercial logging and mining, the commercial bush meat trade, infectious diseases, conflict and illegal exotic pet trade.
Globally the Jane Goodall Institute works to end the illegal commercial bush meat and exotic pet trade through education and awareness programmes, community-centred conservation activities and policy efforts. However, until demand subsides, trade continues.
Conservation in Action
Injured, sick, malnourished and traumatised—when orphaned chimpanzees arrive at our Tchimpounga Sanctuary, we give them the safe haven and the skilful care they need for a second chance at life. We make this commitment for their entire lives, an average of 60 years in captivity.
It takes a tremendous amount of resources to provide our closest living relatives with a lifetime of care.
We can do it. But we can't do it alone.
You can help us care for these vulnerable chimpanzees by becoming a Chimp Guardian, a special supporter of JGI’s efforts to care for the orphans at Tchimpounga.
Help us keep our promise of never turning a chimpanzee away. - This is your chance to give them a life in paradise.
To become a Chimpanzee Guardian, please select a monthly donation amount below.
For just $25 per month*, your donations will be used to:
- Keep the chimps in the care of experienced and loving keepers.
- Provide the chimps with the food, medicine and enrichment they need to grow.
- Support research on reintroducing rescued orphans back into wild environments.
- Protect important wild chimpanzee populations by working with local people and governments and addressing root causes of the bush meat trade to protect key areas of forests where wild chimpanzees live.
- Aid in the functioning of the JGI Global organisation.
As a Chimp Guardian, you will receive the following*:
- Custom Chimpanzee Guardian certificate
- Chimp Guardian newsletters, three times a year, with updates and stories about the chimpanzees of Tchimpounga
- Chimp Guardian desktop wallpaper
- Early invitations to Jane Goodall Institute New Zealand events
*Jane Goodall Institute New Zealand is a Deductible Gift Recipient and all donations have full New Zealand tax exemption as the entire donation goes to our work. To protect our environment and in order for your donations to be fully tax deductible, we do not offer any physical products and all items will be delivered electronically via email.
Jane Goodall Institute will then work to provide a safe home for these orphaned chimps.
You can donate as an individual, group, classroom or the entire school, so ask your parents or teachers today to start your very own Chimp Guardian programme!
Together we can make a change in our lives and theirs!
For further information about Chimp Guardian or supporting JGI's efforts to raise awareness about the issues bush meat trade and of orphaned animals please contact us.