"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make." Jane Goodall.
The Jane Goodall Institute’s International Volunteer Programme gives volunteers from all over the world the opportunity to the participate in Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots programme in Africa including Tanzania where the program was founded.
Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is currently in over 130 countries, but the Tanzanian programme has an especially rich history. It was founded in 1991 when 12 Tanzanian high school students, from nine schools, met with Dr. Jane Goodall on the veranda of her home in Dar es Salaam. Because these students shared Dr. Jane’s love and concern for people, animals and the environment they asked her what they could do to help make the world a better place. After a spirited discussion, they decided to start clubs in each of their schools to address relevant issues at a grass roots level. These were the very first Roots & Shoots clubs.
Currently volunteers are only being placed in the Dar es Salaam Region. Volunteer placement will begin in June/July 2016 and volunteer positions are for a minimum of six months. Shorter term placements are not being considered at this time.
Depending on volunteer skills and experience, key responsibilities could include:
- Development of new biodiversity resources and training materials
- Management of a new pilot project creating community maps/environmental plans with Roots & Shoots schools
- Coordination of Roots & Shoots group field visits
- Supporting school-based environmental projects including:
- Soil Maintenance
- Maintaining a database of Roots & Shoots alumni
- Coordinating Roots & Shoots alumni gatherings
- General support of the Roots & Shoots program, including:
- Drafting Quarterly Roots & Shoots Newsletter
- Compiling Reports for Membership Database, grants, etc
- Assisting the Roots & Shoots team with event planning and outreach
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon with the R&S Tanzania
The ideal volunteer is mature, flexible, patient, self-motivated, creative, culturally competent, adapts to new environments easily, and possesses a sense of humor.
Ideal candidates for this programme will:
- Be current or past members of Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots
- Possess an undergraduate or graduate university degree, or a minimum of four years’ work experience.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Have an interest in youth leadership, education and environmental service learning.
- Be comfortable traveling to and working independently in remote, rural areas.
- Be proficient in English (reading, writing and conversation) and/or in Kiswahili (reading, writing and conversation). Helpful to begin Kiswahili lessons prior to arrival.
- Have good writing and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a high level of attention to detail.
- Enjoy meeting and talking with members of the public/colleagues.
- Have experience organizing and leading workshops or training events.
- Prior experience living or working in Africa or a developing country is a plus.
- Be comfortable using local transportation methods, such as dala dalas (local buses).
- Possess a valid driver’s Location:
The volunteer will be based in the Dar es Salaam metro area.
Volunteers will be expected to travel to Roots & Shoots field sites on a regular basis. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the Jane Goodall Institute. Travel taken outside of work will be the responsibility of the volunteer. There will be no vacation or annual leave time awarded to this position.
The total fee for this position is $6,000 USD. A 30% nonrefundable deposit will be due May 23, 2017 and the remaining 70% of the program fee will be due by June 13, 2017.
Covered by fee:
- Basic Kiswahili Language Lessons (mandatory unless fluent in Kiswahili)
- Local travel and communication (including cell phone)
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Programme orientation, training and materials
- Staff coordination and support
- Administrative fees
- Residence permit
Not covered by fee:
- Airfare to and from Tanzania
- Passport fees
- Immunizations (routine immunizations are recommended)
- If you plan to travel elsewhere in Africa before or after your volunteer experience you may need proof of other immunizations
- If you are traveling to Tanzania from a country with a risk of Yellow Fever virus transmission (including layovers greater than 12 hours), proof of Yellow Fever immunization is required
- Personal medications, including anti-malarial
- There is a moderate risk of malaria in all areas <1,800m (5,906 )
- Medical and travel insurance (required)
- Visa entry fees ($50 or $100 depending on citizenship)
- Spending money
- Personal travel
- International calling costs
If you are interested to know more:
To find out more or to apply for an international volunteering opportunity please contact us